If you’re pregnant, you may be wondering if it’s safe to eat McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish sandwich.
After all, this is a fast food chain that is known for its unhealthy menu options.
The good news is that the Filet-O-Fish sandwich is a relatively healthy choice for pregnant women.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the nutritional content of this sandwich and answer the question: can I eat McDonald’s Fish Sandwich while pregnant?
The McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish sandwich was introduced in 1965 as a way to appeal to Catholic customers who abstained from eating meat on Fridays during Lent.
According to McDonald’s 25% of Filet O Fish sandwiches are sold during Lent.
It is my yearly Lenten tradition to eat a filet o fish sandwich and shamrock shake from Mcdonald’s in March.
I had been doing it for as long as I could remember, and the year I was expecting was no exception.
Even though I was 8 months pregnant, I still wanted to enjoy my once-a-year shamrock shake and filet O fish meal.
As I took my first bite of the sandwich, I savored the delicious flavor.
It was always so good!
And then I sipped on my shamrock shake, letting the sweet minty flavor wash over me.
It was a treat that I looked forward to every year.
Even though I was eating for two now, there was no way that I would miss out on this tradition.
But I wanted to know it was safe.
A quick call to my OB/GYN’s office assured me that eating a filet-o-fish during pregnancy was safe.
Not the healthiest of options, of course, but fine as an occasional treat.
Can I eat McDonald’s Fish Sandwich while pregnant?
Yes, you can eat a fish sandwich from Mcdonald’s while pregnant.
The main ingredient in the Filet-O-Fish sandwich is, of course, fish.
Fish is a great source of protein and omega-three fatty acids, both of which are important for pregnant women.
The sandwich consists of a fish fillet that is breaded and fried, with tartar sauce and cheese on a steamed bun.
While the specific recipe for the fish fillet has never been released, it is generally believed to be made with pollock.
As for the tartar sauce, it is made with pickle relish, parsley, and onion.
The cheese used on the sandwich is American cheese, which is made from a blend of milk, cream, water, and salt.
Filet O Fish Nutrional Information:
The Filet-O-Fish is one of McDonald’s most iconic menu items.
And it’s not hard to see why – with its delicious fish fillet, tartar sauce, and melty cheese, it’s a crave-worthy meal during pregnancy!
Also, it’s a great option for those looking for a lighter alternative to the chain’s signature burgers.
But how does the Filet-O-Fish stack up in terms of nutrition?
One Filet-O-Fish sandwich contains:
- 380 calories
- 17 grams of fat
- 10 grams of carbohydrates
- 29 grams of protein.
While the calorie count isn’t too bad, the fat content is on the high side.
However, it’s worth noting that the sandwich only contains 3 grams of saturated fat – which is relatively low for a fast food item.
As for the protein content, it’s actually quite impressive for a fish sandwich.
So if you’re looking for a meal that will fill you up without leaving you feeling stuffed and fatigued, the Filet-O-Fish is a solid choice.
The fish used in McDonald’s sandwiches is cooked in vegetable oil which is considered a safe oil to use in pregnancy.
So, overall, the Filet-O-Fish sandwich is a fairly healthy choice for pregnant women.
Of course, as with all fast food, there are some downsides.
For one thing, the fish used in McDonald’s sandwiches may contain mercury.
Mercury is a toxic substance that can be harmful to both you and your baby.
However, the amount of mercury in pollock fish is generally low, and the benefits of eating fish during pregnancy outweigh the risks.
What kind of fish is in Mcdonald’s fish sandwich?
In 2009 and 2013, McDonald’s announced that it would begin sourcing sustainable fish for its Filet-O-Fish sandwiches, and today the chain uses certified sustainable wild-caught Alaskan pollock.
Once caught the fish is cleaned, frozen, and shipped to their supplier who then cuts the fish into the right size fish patties for McDonald’s sandwiches.
Turns out there are no fillers or other junk in the Filet O Fish.
During pregnancy, that’s good news when so many foods seem to be on the don’t and can’t eat list.
What is Alaskan Pollock?
Alaskan Pollock is a type of whitefish that is found in the North Pacific Ocean.
It is commonly used in fish and chips, fish sticks, imitation crab, as well as fish sandwiches.
Pollock is a cold water fish with a mild flavor similar to cod and haddock.
This fish is low in mercury and high in omega-three fatty acids, making it a safe and healthy choice for pregnant women.
Tips for making a Mcdonald’s filet o fish healthier:
- Get it without tartar sauce or cheese to reduce the number of calories and fat.
- Add some lettuce and tomato for extra nutrients.
- Skip the fries and opt for a side salad or fruit instead.
- Ask for grilled fish instead of fried fish to further reduce the amount of fat.
- Limit yourself to one sandwich per week to reduce your mercury exposure.
- Have the fish filet wrapped in lettuce and skip the bun
Eating a McDonald’s fish sandwich while pregnant is generally safe, and those are a few things you can do to make it a healthier choice.
Can I eat McDonald’s chicken nuggets while pregnant?
Yes, you can eat McDonald’s chicken nuggets while pregnant!
The only thing if you need to make sure your chicken nuggets are cooked all the way through.
You can ask McDonald’s to cook your nuggets well-done if you have any concerns.
McDonald’s dipping sauces are safe because they are made with pasteurized ingredients or ingredients that are known to be safe to consume during pregnancy.
When I order chicken nuggets I sometimes skip the fries and order a side salad instead.
A side salad or a side of apple slices is better than ordering the french fries.
If you have to have fries, order a child-size or small fry to save on fat and calories.
Can you eat McDonald’s breakfast when pregnant?
Yes, Mcdonald’s has some delicious breakfast options you can enjoy during pregnancy.
The classic egg McMuffin or a scrambled egg breakfast with a side of oatmeal is an excellent choice.
The Biscuit, Bagel, and McGriddle sandwiches are going to be much higher in calories and fat.
Let’s take a look at their nutritional profile:
A Mcdonald’s Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit sandwich is 300 calories and has 15 grams of fat, 5 grams of saturated fat, 190 milligrams of cholesterol, 740 milligrams of sodium, 26 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, 2 grams of sugar, and 16 grams of protein.
This breakfast sandwich also includes calcium (20% DV), iron (10% DV), and vitamin D (10% DV).
The bacon is cooked in a blend of vegetable oils that contain both saturated and unsaturated fats.
While the amount of unhealthy fats in this sandwich is high, it does provide a good amount of protein and some beneficial vitamins and minerals.
A Mcdonald’s Bacon, egg and cheese McGriddle is a breakfast sandwich that contains 430 calories, 22 grams of fat, 7 grams of saturated fat, 95 milligrams of cholesterol, 950 milligrams of sodium, 30 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, 5 grams of sugar, and 18 grams of protein.
It also includes vitamins and minerals such as calcium (30% of the daily value), iron (10% of the daily value), and zinc (10% of the daily value).
Bacon, egg, and cheese bagels are a popular breakfast choice at McDonald’s.
They are high in calories and saturated fat, but they also provide protein and vitamins.
Bacon, egg, and cheese bagels have 440 calories, 24 grams of fat, 9 grams of saturated fat, 31 grams of protein, and 2 grams of fiber.
It is a good source of niacin and vitamin B12.
As you can see the breakfast sandwiches at McDonald’s are quite high in calories and fat.
They are a good source of protein, so like with many things it is about finding balance.
These breakfast sandwiches can be a bit greasy and if you add in hashbrowns you are increasing the grease factor and that could make first-trimester morning sickness worse.
The best overall choice is going to be the oatmeal and scrambled eggs.
You can see the calories in the bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwiches on this table
|McDonald’s Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit||300 Calories|
|McDonald’s Bacon, Egg, and Cheese McGriddle||430 Calories|
|McDonald’s Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Bagel||440 Calories|
Can I eat McDonald’s when pregnant?
Yes, you can eat McDonald’s while pregnant.
There are many items on the McDonald’s menu that are safe and healthy for pregnant women.
If you are craving a burger and fries, that is OK too.
We’ve got some tips on how you can safely enjoy them!
There are a few things you should keep in mind as you place your order:
1. Stick to the healthier menu options. The Mcdonald’s menu has a variety of items to choose from, so opt for healthier choices like a salad or grilled chicken sandwich instead of fries or a Big Mac.
2. Avoid high-fat foods. Fried foods and high-fat items like burgers and fries should be avoided when pregnant. These foods can contribute to weight gain and are not as healthy for you and your baby as other choices.
3. Watch your portion size. It’s easy to overindulge when eating at Mcdonald’s, so watch your portion size and try to stick to modest servings.
4. Drink plenty of water. Mcdonald’s drinks can be high in sugar and calories, so it’s best to drink plenty of water instead.
5. Avoid processed foods. Many of Mcdonald’s menu items are highly processed, so it’s best to avoid these types of foods when pregnant. Instead, choose fresh, unprocessed options whenever possible
What can I eat at McDonald’s while pregnant?
The Mcdonald’s menu is quite varied and can be regional, but these would be our suggestions for what to eat at McDonald’s if pregnant.
1. Grilled Chicken Salad– The grilled chicken salad is a healthy option at Mcdonald’s because it is low in calories and fat. It also contains plenty of nutrients like protein, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
2. Fruit and Maple Oatmeal– Fruit and maple oatmeal is a good choice for breakfast because it is high in fiber and contains complex carbohydrates that will give you energy throughout the morning.
3. Egg McMuffin– The egg McMuffin is a good source of protein and calcium. It also contains B vitamins which are important for pregnant women.
4. Side Salad– The side salad is a good choice for a side dish because it is low in calories and fat. It also contains vitamins A and C, as well as fiber.
5. Low Fat Iced Tea- Iced tea is a refreshing drink that is also low in calories and sugar. It is a good choice for pregnant women who are trying to stay hydrated.
6. Apple dippers with caramel dip– they are a healthy snack and provide necessary nutrients for the baby.
7. Filet-o-fish– it is a low-fat and low-calorie option that is safe for pregnant women.
8. Garden salad with honey mustard dressing– the salad provides vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are essential for a healthy pregnancy
9. Hamburger without cheese– a classic Mcdonald’s burger is a safe choice for pregnant women
10. McNuggets– these are a low-fat, low-calorie, and protein-rich option that are safe for pregnant women
Best practices for eating out in restaurants during pregnancy:
- Avoid all-you-can-eat buffets – you don’t know how fresh the food is or how well it’s been cooked.
- Stick to restaurants that you know and trust – this way you can be sure that the food is fresh and of good quality.
- When in doubt, ask your waiter or waitress for recommendations on safe dishes to eat while pregnant.
- Order simple dishes that are easy to digest.
- Avoid anything with raw eggs or undercooked meat.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Beware of hidden sources of sodium in restaurant food
- Avoid foods made with unpasteurized dairy products.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a modification to your meal!
If you follow these tips you should be able to eat out and have an enjoyable relaxed time while pregnant.
What should you eat daily when pregnant?
A pregnant woman needs to consume various nutrients every day to support her health and the development of her baby.
Protein is essential for building new tissue and can be found in meat, poultry, fish, legumes, and eggs.
Calcium is necessary for strong bones and teeth and is especially important during the third trimester when the baby’s skeleton is rapidly developing.
Pregnant women should aim to get 1000 mg of calcium per day from low-fat dairy products such as milk, yogurt, and cheese.
Iron is also important for the formation of new blood cells, and pregnant women need about 27 mg of iron per day.
How to eat healthy during pregnancy:
Eating healthily during pregnancy is important for both you and your unborn baby.
Here are some tips to help make sure you are getting the nutrients you need:
- Eat various fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. This will help ensure you get the vitamins, minerals, and fiber you need.
- Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive amounts of caffeine. These can all lead to unhealthy weight gain and other problems during pregnancy.
- Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated is important for both your health and the baby’s health.
- Don’t skip meals. Eating small, frequent meals will help to keep your energy up and prevent you from overeating later on.
So, yes, you can eat a Mcdonald’s fish sandwich while pregnant.
The fish sandwich is a healthy option and is low in calories.
Other healthy choices at McDonald’s include the Grilled chicken sandwich, the side salad, and a hamburger without the cheese.