Updated January 27, 2021
Are you wondering if a pregnancy pillow is worth it?
Have you looked at them online and been overwhelmed with all the choices? You are not alone! That is why we have put together the ultimate pregnancy pillow guide for you.
I could not believe how many maternity pillows there were for sale when I was looking for one.
I wasn’t even sure if a pregnancy pillow was worth it.
Did I need a unique pillow because I was pregnant?
Let me cut to the end of that story…
Yes, I did NEED a unique pillow when I was pregnant, and so do you.
They are worth every penny.
👉This is the pregnancy pillow I bought. It is budget-friendly and is like sinking into a cloud with support in all the right places. It is also the pregnancy pillow our readers buy most often.
Once you are pregnant, one of the hardest things to do is to get a good night’s sleep.
In fact, according to the National Sleep Foundation, many women have reported that during pregnancy, they had the most disturbed sleep of their lives.
Pregnancy is an exhausting time in any woman’s life. As your baby bump grows, it becomes more and more difficult to sleep.
There are many physical and emotional demands during pregnancy.
These physical and emotional demands make sleep becomes a priority for the health of you, and your developing newborn.
Pregnancy issues that can make sleeping difficult include morning sickness, heartburn, and joint/ligament pain. A maternity pillow should not be considered a splurge or luxury item. Getting enough sleep is necessary to be sure both you and your growing baby remain healthy.Dr. Doug Penta, OB/GYN
Many women will go through frequent episodes of back pain, pelvic pain, and hip pain during pregnancy.
This discomfort can make getting a good night’s sleep nearly impossible.
Yes, in the end, the pain will all seem worth it when your baby arrives.
But in the meantime, you will have to deal with how this pain can impact the quality and duration of sleep you get while you are pregnant.
There is one solution that can dramatically improve your sleep disturbance while pregnant.
It is to buy a pregnancy pillow.
Pregnancy pillows can do miracles when it comes to managing insomnia during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, it is not uncommon to have trouble falling or staying asleep. Getting enough sleep directly impacts your physical and psychological well-being. Sleep struggles during pregnancy are a common complaint and there are steps you can take during your waking hours to improve your chances of getting better sleep during pregnancy.
What is a pregnancy pillow?
If you’ve never heard of a pregnancy pillow, then you aren’t alone. You are also in for a big surprise.
A lot of pregnant women are not familiar with pregnancy pillows and the many benefits they can offer.
Unfortunately, I have talked to many women who wished they had known about them during their pregnancy.
The pillows used to be called full-body pads, and there were limited choices.
Now, pregnancy pillows are produced by many manufacturers and come in many shapes and sizes.
The pillows are made to fit women of all sizes and shapes and suit various sleep preferences: back sleepers, front sleepers, and side sleepers.
Matter what sleep position you are used to, the pillows also help women sleep on the left-side since it is the optimal sleep position during pregnancy.
Since there are so many pillows to choose from, we have included information to help you select the perfect pillow for you.
But first, let’s understand what a pregnancy pillow should do and why you might benefit from using one.
A pregnancy pillow does two things:
- Support the growth of your pregnancy.
- Alleviate the musculoskeletal pain associated with pregnancy. Also known as maternity pillows, they relieve the pressure on the joints in your back, pelvis, and hips.
While a standard pillow may work to some extent, it won’t give you the proper support and relief that you need to get the best night’s sleep.
You can stick to using your regular pillow, but you also won’t experience the comfort of a pregnancy pillow.
A regular pillow doesn’t address the body changes that occur during pregnancy nor offer any additional support.
Regular pillows are softer and get compressed, offering less support.
Besides, they tend to slip away from your body rather than hug your body the way a pregnancy pillow does.
So, to sum it up, if you are alright with a regular pillow, a pregnancy pillow is certainly not a requirement.
But if you are experiencing discomfort and insomnia and are looking for a solution to improve your sleep while pregnant, here are some reasons why you should invest in one:
- Awakening with pain: If you are waking up with pelvic pain, hip ache, or backache in the morning, you should consider getting a maternity pillow.
- Using multiple pillows: You may be surrounding yourself with a lot of cushions but are still not comfortable. A pregnancy pillow might be just what you need. Often, people who are not pregnant will find themselves using extra pillows for comfort from heartburn, etc., and are not aware they are doing this. You may not be aware that you are adding pillows to get more comfortable.
- Sleeping Positions: If you are a back or a tummy sleeper, then a pregnancy pillow can be beneficial and help you stay positioned on your left side.
- Medical Conditions: If you are suffering from health conditions like sciatica, a maternity pillow can be beneficial.
When should you start using a pregnancy pillow?
The first trimester of pregnancy can be miserable. If you are one of the 80% of women who experience morning sickness and fatigue, a pregnancy pillow can help you get more rest.
One way to relieve morning sickness (or all day sickness) is to get more sleep.
Many women will start using a pregnancy pillow around 20 weeks though you can start using one at any time during your pregnancy.
Why should you buy a pregnancy pillow?
1. Comfortable sleep
The most significant advantage of using a pregnancy pillow is that it is super-comfortable. Everyone needs to have a sound, uninterrupted, and pain-free sleep. Unfortunately, regular pillows neither give the right support nor position your body correctly as your pregnancy advances.
2. Reduces Backache
When you are sleeping on your back, it puts a strain on your entire backside. Pregnancy pillows reduce the pain from your back, hips, legs, and shoulders. Besides, pregnancy pillows improve your body’s posture as your pregnancy develops and helps reduce sciatic pain during pregnancy.
3. Improves Blood Circulation
You might not be aware, but a pregnancy pillow helps in improving your blood circulation as well. Simply put, your body is more relaxed, and you are more energetic throughout the day with the use of a pregnancy pillow.
Most important is how well it can improve circulation to the growing fetus by keeping you positioned on your left side. The flow to the placenta is optimal when lying on your left side.
4. Prevents Heartburn
Heartburns are one of the factors that can keep you awake at night. But you don’t need to worry about it if you have a pregnancy pillow! These magical pillows prevent not only heartburn but also nasal congestion and even carpal tunnel. The perfect pillow can help manage many problems associated with pregnancy.
Total Body Pregnancy Pillows
Pregnancy pillows come in various shapes and sizes. The total body pregnancy pillow offers the best support as it completely wraps around your body.
These pillows are enormous. They range from 5 to 6 feet in length.
You can easily curl up inside these pillows for a quick, comfortable nap.
Perhaps they are a little too big to bring to your childbirth class or on a business trip!
Usually, pregnant women prefer the full-body maternity pillow because it gives the best support to the back, tummy, and other parts of the body.
This post contains affiliate links. You can read our affiliate In a hurry? disclaimer at the bottom of this post. This is the pregnancy pillow our readers buy most often and tell us is the one that helped them the most.
You can choose a total body pregnancy pillow from the following two types:
- C-shaped pregnancy pillow: Shaped liked the letter C, you should use it in a riding position. The bottom part of the pillow should be between your legs and the top for resting your head. The curve of the C-shaped pillow cradles your back, relieving any pressure from your end.
- U-shaped pregnancy pillow: Like the letter U, this pillow is meant for straddling one long side. It’s for supporting your back and belly. People who prefer sleeping on their backs can use this pillow for better sleep.
Now that you know the benefits of using a pregnancy pillow, you have to decide which one is right for you.
Well, it’s not as hard as you might think.
Let’s explore the critical factors to keep in mind while buying a maternity pillow.
How to pick the right maternity pillow?
1. Does it come with a removable cover?
With regular use, your pillow is bound to get dirty. In fact, due to pregnancy, women sweat more than usual. As the sizes of the maternity pillows are varied and vast, it would be complicated to wash them now and then. Thus, a removable cover makes things easier.
Check if the maternity pillow you are buying comes along with removable covers. These covers are easy to wash and more convenient.
2. What type of filling does it have?
Different pillows have different types of filling. Make sure to choose a pillow with an appropriate filling. Here are some of the kinds of fillings:
- Styrofoam ball filling: Usually, cheaper pregnancy pillows use styrofoam balls, which are also commonly used in bean bags. As styrofoam is lightweight and can adapt to your body shape quickly, it’s the preferred choice for manufacturers. However, these fillings are noisy when you move.
- Polyester Fiber Filling: One of the most popular fillings is polyester fiber. It is not only soft but also doesn’t make noise when you move around. The more filling, the firmer your pillow is. The only downside is that these pillows are not airy.
- Microbead Filling: Microbeads are tiny and are just1/32 inch wide. It is so lightweight that you can take this pillow with you anywhere, anytime. They don’t make any noise and are more supportive than other options.
- Memory Foam Filling: Memory foam filling pillows take the shape of your body as you put pressure on it. Once you relieve it from your bodyweight, it regains its original form. These pillows are firm and can retain heat; thus, some manufacturers shred the foam initially to let the air circulate inside.
- Organic fillings: If you prefer an organic and natural lifestyle, then this might be the right choice for you. In fact, it’s always a good idea to avoid any harsh chemicals during pregnancy. You can choose a pillow made from Spelt, Wool, or Kapok.
3. Is the pillow noisy?
As discussed above, certain fillings tend to make more noise than other fillings when you move around. Some people hardly notice the sound once they fall asleep, but if you are a light sleeper and don’t like the rustle of pillows while sleeping, then make sure to avoid fillings and fabrics that are too loud for you.
4. Is the pillow hypoallergenic?
You might not have any allergies, but it’s always a better idea to use a hypoallergenic pregnancy pillow. Since pregnancy hormones can lead to sensitivities toward different fibers and materials, a hypoallergenic pillow is a good option. It lets you sleep peacefully, preventing an allergic reaction.
Should you be highly sensitive to potential allergens such as dust mites, molds, etc., you can get a Jersey Cover to decrease allergen exposure. This cover is designed for the U-shaped PharMeDoc pillow.
5. Is it the right size for you?
A pregnancy pillow that is too large or too small can be a problem. Choose a pillow size that is in proportion to your height. While some like to snuggle inside a large pillow, others prefer a pillow meant specifically for troublesome areas. If necessary, ask what size pillow is best for you when making a selection.
6. Soft or Firm?
A fluffy pillow is soft and great for keeping behind your head, but it won’t give you the best spinal support. On the other hand, a firm pillow may not feel as comfortable but will benefit you more in the long run for joint pain. Think about how much support you think you need.
7. Stage of pregnancy
The stage of your pregnancy also plays an important role when buying a pregnancy pillow. You’ll feel different at the onset of the pregnancy than at the end.
Tummy sleepers can sleep in this position for the first few months, but later on, they’ll need a pillow to prevent them from rolling onto their bellies.
Moreover, the aches and pains you feel earlier changes as you come closer to the due date.
8. Body Heat
Pregnancy hormones are not only hard to handle but also increases your body temperature. They make you sweat a lot.
Thus, look for flannel pillows or any other fabric that doesn’t make you sweat. A total body pillow retains heat and can make it harder for you to sleep.
9. Sleeping Preferences
Pregnancy changes the sleeping positions, no matter how much you love sleeping on your back or tummy.
In such cases, you need proper support as it will help you in a better side sleeping position. Side sleepers also need some support under their belly.
Now that you know how to pick a maternity pillow, let’s take a look at the following total body pillow options:
Queen Rose U-Shaped Total Body Pillow
QUEEN ROSE Pregnancy Pillow with Velvet Cover-U-Shape Full Body Maternity Pillow for Back,Gray
3 used from $46.81
- Unique Design & Ergonomical,The U shaped body pillow lets you get a good night of sleep throughout your pregnancy. It's uniquely designed to follow the shape of the pregnancy mom but good for any one,long enough for you to stretch out and support for both back and front
- Pain Relief for a Comfortable Sleep,Our Customers have been using this maternity pillow effectively for back pain and 3rd trimester pain relief with fibromyalgia, sciatica, gastric reflux, congestion, carpal tunnel syndrome,reduce tossing and turning, ME etc for stomach sleepers
- Multipurpose Pregnancy Pillow,Replaces standard pillows to create multi position as a pillow for sleeping, reading in bed, watching TV. Total Body Support and helping relieve hip pain to get a better sleep and who are recovering from surgery
- Machine Washable, Cover: 100% soft velvet; adjustable filling: filled with cushy polyfill and durability,machine washable pillow cover
- Guarantee,Full refund covered lifetime for the manufacturer faults, always make every customer happy with every shopping experience
Queen Rose is known for making quality pillows, and their Total Body Pillow is one such example.
It’s a U-shaped pillow that provides sufficient support to women experiencing pain around their back and belly.
This pillow also gives proper support to the joints in the pelvis, hip, and legs. This is why pregnancy pillows can help relieve the pain associated with sciatica and can help recover from injuries.
A significant reason why Queen Rose is famous among expecting mothers is because of its versatility. You can fold it, lounge on it, or wrap it around your arm for support.
It can even be used to cradle your baby during feeding. If you are breastfeeding, you will want to be careful you don’t get too comfortable and fall asleep.
Another feature is that it comes with a long zippered, washable cover that can be easily removed.
- Excellent for lounging and nursing
- Provides back and tummy support
- Limited color options
- Bulky and hard to move
- Flathead support
PharMeDoc C-Shaped Total Body Pillow
PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow, U-Shape Full Body Maternity Pillow - Support Detachable Extension
- Our U shaped body pillow helps support your back, hips, knees, neck, and head to help ease discomfort associated with pregnancy, sciatica, fibromyalgia, gastric reflux, and more.
- The pregnancy pillow features a detachable extension that can be used as its own full body pillow, or attached the main body pillow for additional back or belly support, making this an excellent pillow for pregnant women and just about anyone else!
- This maternity pillow measures 53" inches long, 31" inches wide, and 7" inches high, making this the ideal contoured support pillow for your back, belly, legs, and neck... all in one!
- MORE THAN JUST A PILLOW FOR PREGNANT WOMEN - This full body pillow is perfect for ANYONE needing more support, recovering from surgery, or tired of having to use separate pillows to support their head, neck, legs, and back
- Try the PharMeDoc U-Shaped maternity pillow today, RISK-FREE. You're covered by our lifetime manufacturer warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee.
With the dimensions of 62 inches x 30 inches, this pillow is fully adjustable and gives ample support to your body. In addition to wellness and fitness products, PharMeDoc also produces orthopedic bed pillows. These body pillows are specially designed while keeping in mind the overall comfort and support for pregnant women.
Not only can you use it at any stage of your pregnancy but also after having your baby.
Postpartum can be difficult for your body, especially if you have a c-section, but this pillow can help ease a lot of that pain.
PharMeDoc has a symmetrical shape that can be easily folded to create a lounging surface. Comparatively,
PharMeDoc has a more full, low loft so that you can sleep in a nest-like shape that supports your belly and back.
It’s also long enough to provide ample support for your neck, head, and legs.
It comes with a long zippered, washable, 100% jersey cotton cover. The material is soft and won’t make you sweaty at night.
Moreover, for future moms who need support for their back and hips, this pillow is perfect as it ensures a proper sleep posture and relieves body pain.
- Helps in relieving backache and neck pain
- Perfect for side sleeping
- Fully adjustable
- Not suitable for taller women
- Putting the cover back is a bit hard.
PharMeDoc versus the Queen Rose pregnancy pillow:
|Basis of Comparison||
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Warranty||90-day refund or exchange guarantee||Life-time|
|Material||100% Cotton||100% Cotton|
|Benefit||Support belly and helps in sleeping and nursing.||Excellent body contour support.|
Are you tossing and turning while trying to sleep? D o you find yourself desperate to fall asleep? Today we are sharing pregnancy pillow reviews of the two pillows our readers swear by for a good night’s sleep during pregnancy! Why it is so hard to sleep when we are pregnant?
INSEN Pregnancy Pillow C Shaped
INSEN Pregnancy Pillow,Maternity Body Pillow with Pillow Cover,C Shaped Body Pillow for Pregnant Women
4 used from $40.31
- Ergonomic Design - 58 x 28 x 7.8 in.C shaped body pillow design replaces other small pillows in your bed. This C shaped body pillow is comfort and following your body contour shaped that helping support your body such as back, belly, hips and knee.
- Best Maternity Pillow to Your Family- High density soft cotton adapts to your belly and back when you want to sleep, read, nurse, or watch TV. We use long silk cotton that it will stay smooth and fluffy inside the pillow provides comfort for side support.
- Relieve Pregnancy Body Pain. Our full body pregnancy pillow can help you into a quality sleep, reducing interruptions all night and helping relieve back pain, hips pain, and lower back pain.
- All in One Pillow and Widely Use Pillow. Maternity body pillow creates cushion when you are sleeping, watching TV/ movie, reading, resting, playing games, and working at home. It cradles your body to reduce tossing and turning, providing you a quality sleep and keep your neck, shoulder, back and hip aligned during night. Also, pillow is foldable into multiple position to elevate your leg to improve blood circulation. Relieving pregnancy swelling is so important for pregnant women.
- Warmly Tips: Both outer and lining case have independent zipper for you conveniently to unpick and wash.
The Insen Pregnancy Pillow is a popular and budget-friendly option. It gets rave reviews, and most buyers wished they had purchased it sooner.
The Insen Pillow helps support your back, hips, and baby bump. It is C-shaped to cradle you in comfort. The pillow is an excellent choice for side sleepers.
The pillow is popular with new moms as a postpartum and nursing pillow too.
We love the versatility of this pillow, and it can fold into different positions, has a removable cover that is machine washable.
The pillow weighs 5.8 pounds. The pregnancy pillow cover is a soft velvet gray with double zippers.
- Supports your neck, back, hips, and belly
- The cover is easy to put back on the pillow after washing.
- An excellent choice for side sleepers
- Flattens easily
Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow
Leachco Snoogle Original Maternity/Pregnancy Total Body Pillow, Ivory
5 used from $36.00
- The first and true original Snoogle
- Snoogle takes the place of multiple pillows to help support hips, back, neck, and tummy
- Patented design was developed by a registered Nurse and mom
- Enjoy cuddle comfort and support without the extra body heat.
- Snoogle original has a sham-style removable cover that is machine washable
The Leachco Snoogle is a C-shaped pillow that supports your head, knees, and belly. A mom and nurse developed the Snoogle. This pillow is comfy and doesn’t hold onto your body heat.
The pillow is designed to be non-allergenic and is safe to use while nursing.
- Stays cool
- Machine washable
- A right pillow for nursing
- Higher cost
Chilling Home Pregnancy Pillow
Chilling Home Pregnancy Pillow, 60 inches Full Body Pillow Maternity Pillow for Pregnant Women, Comfort U Shaped Zootzi Pillow with Removable Washable Velvet Cover(Grey, 60 x 28 inches, Full Size)
- 【SLEEP DEEPLY THROUGH THE NIGHT】Zootzi Pillow: The best pregnancy C body pillow offers head, neck, shoulder, leg and ankle support, and relieves fibromyalgia, reflux, congestion, ankle pain and sciatica as a full body pregnancy C pillow which is identical with other pregnancy C body pillow.
- 【MULTIPURPOSE PREGNANCY PILLOW】 The C-shaped body pillow is not only a maternity pillow for sleeping designed for pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers compared to other full body pregnancy pillow as Boddy pillow, but also a full body pillow for adults suffering from hip pain, fibromyalgia, sciatica, poor posture, athletes, people in physical therapy or recovering from an injury, and anyone looking to get better sleep.
- 【100% HYPOALLERGENIC PP COTTON】This unique Bionic Polyethylene filling(7D PP COTTON PLUS 15D PP COTTON) without smelling of the full body pregnancy pillow provides comfort for sleeping and retains fluffiness for better performance and longer use like boyfriend pillow, which is extra soft and of high density.
- ◆REMOVABLE & WASHABLE COVER - Equipped with a zipper at both the inner and outer cover, this full body pregnancy pillow as Contour Body pillow will never clump, even after repeated washing, so you can look forward to long lasting clean comfort and just Simply throw this pillow into a standard washing machine and dryer for an easy cleaning. Hassle-free body pillow!
- ◆COMFORT C SHAPE - Entire comfort and total C body pillows. Dimension:55 x 28 inches. The oversize C-shaped Pillow for Pregnant Women is long enough for you to stretch out and support your body. The inner curves contours while aligning your hips for neutral joint positioning.
Meiz Pregnancy Pillow
Meiz Pregnancy Pillow - U Shaped - Pregnancy Body Pillow - for Support Neck/Back/Legs with Body Pillow Cooling Jersey Cover, Green
1 used from $55.48
- Pregnancy Pillow Cooling - This pregnancy pillow with jersey cover is machine washable. The adjustable filling offers persistent full and durability and makes the pregnancy pillow firm but soft. You can take off and take on the jersey cover easily with the updated long zippers.
- Suitable For Everyone -The unique design follows the shape of human body, which is an over-sized U-shape, and is long enough for you to stretch out and support both sides of your body. Meiz pregnancy pillow is not only for pregnant mothers as pregnancy gifts, but also comfortable for everyone who is eager for a better sleep.
- All In One Multifunctional Body Pillow - Meiz full body pillow is quite suitable for side sleeper, back sleeper and stomach sleeper. Creates a relax & comfortable position for sleeping, reading and watching TV etc. Great gift for family or friends.
- Deeply Sleep Every Night - Meiz u shaped body maternity pregnancy pillow is ideal for sciatica relief, relief of leg swelling and back pain, prevents pressure on the liver, prevents hypertension syndrome, eliminates tossing and turning; As well as helps support the head, back, belly, sides, knees, hip and feet. People may experience varying results.
- Great gift to show your loved ones, family or friends that you really care about their relaxation and health with this amazing full body pregnancy pillow.
Is it bad if you sleep on your right side during pregnancy?
Both medical research and clinical observations in labor and delivery demonstrate that left side sleep during pregnancy is best. If you have always been a left-sided sleeper you are one of the fortunate ones. Left side sleep during pregnancy has been shown to be beneficial in both pregnant and non-pregnant individuals.
The blood flow to your developing baby is best when lying on your left side. When you lay on your left side, blood flows freely to the placenta.
When laying on your right side, these same blood vessels are slightly compressed by the weight of your pregnancy, and this can decrease blood flow to your pr
Healthcare providers always want you to lie on your side during pregnancy.
They tend to mention the benefits of lying on your left if you have a condition that can benefit from increased blood flow.
Two pregnancy conditions where left-sided positioning can be helpful are toxemia (high blood pressure during pregnancy) and fetal growth restriction, most often detected by ultrasound.
Healthcare providers will not typically say that it is “bad” to sleep on your right side.
A better way to put it is to say that lying on the left side is “preferred.”
If you have a medical condition as described, then it will be recommended.
The Best Pregnancy Pillows Of 2020
With so many varieties and options to choose from, it can be challenging to choose the perfect pregnancy pillow.
Nonetheless, do an in-depth analysis of all the available choices.
First, figure out your requirements, and then evaluate the features that matter the most to you.
This will help you in determining the type of pillow that’ll be best for you.
Pregnancy pillows are gaining popularity with each passing day.
What is most interesting to note is that many new moms will not give up their pillow after pregnancy.
Furthermore, many people purchase the pillow (men and women) because they are so comfortable and improve sciatica and low back pain.