Are you pregnant and craving a delicious pizza from Mellow Mushroom?
You have to be mindful of what you eat for the health of your unborn baby, which can mean making difficult dietary choices.
You may wonder can I eat at Mellow Mushroom while pregnant?
Don’t worry–we’re here to give you all the information you need to make an informed decision about eating at Mellow Mushroom while pregnant!
Can I eat at Mellow Mushroom while pregnant?
Yes, you can eat at Mellow Mushroom while pregnant.
We asked our OB/GYN Dr. Doug Penta, MD and he said that generally speaking it is safe to eat at Mellow Mushroom during pregnancy.
But as with eating out in most restaurants during pregnancy, there are a few things you should watch out for.
So before you dive into that cheesy pizza goodness let’s talk about it.
- If you are going to have pizza go with the build-your-own option
Mellow Mushroom’s signature pizzas are ALL amazing, but when it comes to eating pizza during pregnancy you are better off choosing exactly how you want it made and what toppings you want on it.
- Order a salad
They have a good selection of salads that are not only delicious but are packed with nutrition that both you and your baby need.
These are the best salads to choose from during pregnancy with some modifications.
- The Elevated Cobb – is made with Gorgonzola, bacon, grilled chicken, and avocado. Ask for the Gorgonzola to be swapped out for cheddar cheese for a safe option.
- House Salad – is made with tomatoes, red onions, mushrooms, and parmesan.
- Enlightened Spinach Salad – is made with dried cherries, apples, candied pecans, and feta. Ask for the feta to be swapped out for cheddar cheese.
You can eat the champagne-apple vinaigrette dressing during pregnancy as there is no alcohol in the dressing.
- You’ll want to limit your consumption of high-calorie dishes.
It is best to eat salads or sandwiches at Mellow Mushroom because pizza even one slice is high in calories and fat.
We will talk about some of the best sandwich and pizza offerings to eat during pregnancy below.
What are some of the dishes that are safe to eat at Mellow Mushroom while pregnant?
Mellow Mushroom offers solid variety in its menu items.
The best and safest choices are dishes that are cooked in healthy oils and with vegetables, like the spinach salad with grilled chicken or California club made with grilled chicken.
They also offer lighter salads such as their house salad
Here are a few of our favorite Mellow Mushroom Pregnancy-Safe favorites:
- Build your own pizza: You can build your own pizza. Choose toppings like mozzarella, cheddar, provolone, grilled chicken, meatballs, steak, fresh vegetables, and olives
- Veg Out Pizza is made with olive oil, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, peppers, olives, and mozzarella.
- Funky Q Chicken Pizza: This is made with BBQ grilled chicken, mozzarella, cheddar cheese caramelized onions, and BBQ sauce.
- California Club Sandwich: is made with grilled chicken, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo.
- Steak and cheese or chicken and cheese Sandwich: is made with steak or chicken, provolone, sautéed peppers, and onions.
- Meatball hoagie: This sandwich is made with meatballs, marinara sauce, and mozzarella.
- Avocado Hoagie: is made with avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and your choice of cheese (cheddar or provolone).
- White Bean Chili: The chili is made with white beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spices.
- Oven-Baked wings: The wings are oven-baked and served with celery, carrots, ranch
What are some menu items that I should avoid while pregnant?
You should avoid the following menu items while pregnant:
Sheep’s Milk Feta: Feta is a soft cheese and is often made from unpasteurized milk. cheese made from unpasteurized dairy is not safe to consume during pregnancy.
The risk of contracting a foodborne illness (Listeria) is too high.
Italian Hoagie – The Italian hoagie is made with deli cold cuts.
Deli meat is not safe to eat during pregnancy unless it is heated to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Alcoholic Beverages – Alcohol should be avoided during pregnancy.
There is no known safe amount of alcohol that can be consumed during pregnancy.
Blue Cheese dressing and Blue cheese Crumbles: Blue cheese is a soft cheese made from unpasteurized milk and should be avoided during pregnancy.
Caesar Dressing: it is often made with raw eggs which should be avoided during pregnancy.
Mellow Mushroom Nutritional information for pregnancy-friendly menu options:
Cheese Pizza (Large slice): Calories: 360
Veg Out Pizza (Large slice): Calories – 370
California Club Sandwich – Calories – 660
Oven-Baked wings – Calories- 290
Avocado Hoagie (Half) – Calories- 470
Meatball Hoagie(Half)-Calories– 400
Funky Q Chicken Pizza (Large slice): Calories– 470
Steak and cheese or chicken and cheese Sandwich(Half): Calories– 700 Chicken, 840 Steak
Which pizza is safe during pregnancy?
You can build your own or go for one of their specialty pizzas.
Veg Out Pizza is a good choice as it contains mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, peppers, olives, and mozzarella – all safe options during pregnancy.
The Funky Q Chicken Pizza also has grilled chicken which is a safe option as long as you check that the chicken is cooked through.
You should avoid the Sheep’s Milk Feta and Blue Cheese Crumbles as these are soft cheeses made from unpasteurized milk which can contain Listeria, a bacteria that is harmful to pregnant women.
Cheese pizza is almost always a safe bet during pregnancy.
Make sure the cheese you choose for the topping is pasteurized.
It is always a good idea to load your pizza with vegetables.
Options like spinach, broccoli, peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, and basil are excellent choices.
Does Mellow Mushroom Crust have eggs?
The Mellow Mushroom Crust is vegan, so it does not contain eggs.
Always ask at the restaurant you are eating at to be sure.
Also, according to their allergen information, their pizza crust does not contain eggs.
Is Margherita pizza safe during pregnancy?
Usually, Margherita pizza is safe during pregnancy as long as the Mozzarella cheese is made with skim milk.
If you are ordering pizza, you should always ask if the cheese is pasteurized.
If your server doesn’t know, it is best to skip that cheese.
What is mellow mushroom dough made of?
Mellow Mushroom’s dough is made with wheat flour, water, cane sugar, yeast, and salt.
It is vegan and egg-free.
They make an excellent gluten-free pizza crust too!
Can we eat pizza during pregnancy’s first trimester?
Yes, you can eat Pizza during the first trimester of pregnancy.
Eat a small portion though.
Pizza can be greasy and spicy, which can make your morning sickness symptoms much worse.
Eating pizza during the first trimester can also trigger heartburn and indigestion.
Does Mellow Mushroom use pasteurized cheese?
Yes, the cheese at Mellow Mushroom is made with pasteurized milk.
But always ask at the specific restaurant you are at in case the cheese they use is different.
You should not eat blue cheese or feta cheese during pregnancy.
Is it safe to eat at restaurants while pregnant?
Yes, it is safe to eat out in restaurants while pregnant.
Most people in the US eat out at least once per week.
It is important when eating out in restaurants during your pregnancy that you watch your portion sizes, and watch out for high fat, high sodium, and sugar-loaded sauced.
Also, it is critical to ensure the foods you order are cooked completely before consuming them.
Helpful hints for eating at Mellow Mushroom while pregnant:
1. If you have a party of 8 or more they do take reservations.
They don’t take advanced reservations for parties under 8. Wait times at Mellow Mushroom can be long.
You can call the restaurant you’ll be going to and ask if you can put your name on the waitlist.
2. Plan to start with a salad.
Mellow Mushroom offers several delicious salads.
Having a salad first helps you fill up before you order
This will allow you to eat a smaller portion of a high-calorie entree and have some to take home for lunch the next day.
3. Consider your order carefully
When ordering your meal, be sure to take your own needs into consideration.
If you’re feeling tired or nauseous, for example, you might want to avoid heavy meals or foods that are high in fat and grease.
Instead, opt for lighter fare such as a salad, white bean chili, or a grilled chicken hoagie
Also, be sure to drink plenty of water throughout your meal to stay hydrated.
4. Don’t hesitate to ask for what you need
If you have any special requests or needs, don’t hesitate to ask the waitstaff for assistance.
It is a good idea to ask for your pizza to be cooked a little longer to reduce the chance of foodborne illness.
5. Take your time eating your meal
When pregnant, it’s important to eat slowly.
Eating slowly gives time for you to feel fuller on less food too.
Taking your time will help you to avoid overeating or becoming too full and uncomfortable.
6. Ask for a take-out box
If you are getting full ask for a take-out box
That way you can enjoy the rest of your meal the next day.
Tips for eating out in restaurants while pregnant:
- Skip the buffet – you don’t know how fresh the food is or how well it’s been cooked. Not going to be an issue at Panda Express, but a good tip to keep in mind as you plan where to eat out during pregnancy.
- Stick to restaurants that you know and trust – this way you can be sure that the food is fresh and of good quality.
- When in doubt, ask your waiter or waitress for recommendations on safe dishes to eat while pregnant.
- Order simple dishes that are easy to digest.
- Avoid anything with raw eggs or undercooked meat.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Beware of hidden sources of sodium in restaurant food
- Avoid foods made with unpasteurized dairy products.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a modification to your meal!
These are foods to not eat when pregnant:
- Foods that are not pasteurized– certain types of cheese like soft cheeses, Brie, Blue Cheese, etc.
- Certain types of fish– shark, swordfish, anything high in mercury
- Raw eggs including egg nog, hollandaise sauce, homemade mayonnaise, homemade eggnog, and runny eggs.
- Undercooked meats– lunch meats. Deli meats.
- Hot foods that are not “hot”, avoid hot foods that have been sitting out without a warming source. Same for foods that should be eaten cold. If no ice or refrigeration source is keeping the food cold, take a pass.
- Caffeine– soda, chocolate, and energy drinks. (Limit your caffeine to less than 200 mg a day)
- Herbal Teas (There are so many ingredients in herbal teas so it is best to avoid them simply. Green tea is OK.)
- Alcohol: There is no known safe amount of alcohol during pregnancy. Avoid sauces made with alcohol, desserts made with alcohol, and all alcoholic beverages.
Here are some tips to help make sure you are getting the nutrients you need:
- Limit processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive amounts of caffeine. These can all lead to unhealthy weight gain and other problems during pregnancy. Stick with fresh vegetables, fruits, and meats/fish.
- Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated is important for both your health and the baby’s health.
- Don’t skip meals. Eating small, frequent meals will help to keep your energy up and prevent you from overeating later on.
- Eating small frequent meals can help decrease morning sickness and heartburn